Town of Fredenberg ~ St. Louis County, MN
Hiring -- Recycling Center Attendants ($14/hr. Wed PM & Sat AM Flexible hrs per month)
Taking quotes for snow removal of Town Hall and Recycling Ctr lots -- Submit quote by 9/30
September 15 Board Meeting -- Town Hall or Zoom
7:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 860 7312 8436
+1 312 626 6799
The first settlers in the community were Andrew & Veronica Jonaliks. They raised their 9 children on a small lake here and established the first school in their home. Town of Fredenberg became official in 1904. In 1905, there were 77 residents but only 6 families. The Weyerhouse Company built a log dam in 1890 over the Cloquet River. In 1913, the Great Northern Power Company (now MPL) purchased the dam, building the first concrete dam in 1915. In 2017, updates to this dam are being made by MPL. Other early settlers to the area were: Gust Johnson, Gust Johanson, Charles Johnson, Andrew Johnson, Andrew Pearson, Peter Nicholson, Paul Chesney & Jack Fredenberg (for whom the township and a lake are named). Many of the descendants of these families remain in the area.
The 1918 Fire swept through the township and was devastating, especially to the agriculture/farming/logging in the area. Homes, farms and logging camps were destroyed and lives lost.
The first school was established around 1890 in various homes. In 1903, the first graduating class of 8th graders had 4 students. The Fredenberg School was built in 1958 and remained open until 1981, the building now currently houses the Community Center/Town Hall. Students from the area now attend the Hermantown School District.
The Town of Fredenberg currently encompasses 36 square miles and has a population of 1,345 residents. The area is home to cross county ski trails, snowmobile trails, public parks and a recreation area with boat launches and of course, BEAUTIFUL LAKES: Fish Lake, Island Lake, Fredenberg Lake, Hunter Lake, Cook Lake, Clearwater Lake and Deepwater Lake.
***Historical information obtained from research complied by Lucille M. Pearson, long time resident of Fredenberg, with permission from her family.